Saturday, September 10, 2011

Random Observations About Sydney

All of my posts are about my personal life, but I try to make them topical so they appeal to all through the experiences we share as we travel through life. Like yesterday’s post on breastfeeding. Or picking a baby name. Or life in the delivery room. These are personal experiences, but we all experience them, so you can read what I am going through and identify with my situation.

Rarely do I do a totally personal post. So, indulge me. As my baby grows, I will make this a regular contribution.

Observations about my little girl:

  • She absolutely has my chin. I have a distinct cleft chin that sinks deeply right below the lip. It is not an attribute I particularly like about myself, but it is confirmation that she is mine! That was always up for debate.
  • She is a snorter. Her tiny nostrils can’t handle her rage. When she gets excited and throws a fit, she snorts. We have nicknamed her Snorty Magee.
  • She has black hair. Both Brooke and I were blonde when we were children, so this was a bit of a surprise.
  • Her eyes look Asian. This seems to fade a bit every day, but, with the dark hair and eyes, I might need to get a DNA test…if not for the chin.
  • She is very serious. She get s a look of consternation on her face several times a day, especially when she is eating. Her dad is kind of a clown, so maybe she is taking a different approach to life.
  • She is a fighter. She fights herself awake and fights herself to sleep. Her clenched fists and arms pump like Sugar Ray Leonard in his prime.
  • She is strong. I honestly don’t know if she is strong compared to other babies, but she is much stronger than I thought a baby would be. She will push things away with force.
  • She is squirmy, like a worm on the end of a hook. She looks like she is having an epilectic fit when she wakes up.
  • She likes to get her hair washed. It soothes her.
  • She also sucks things to soothe herself. If not feeding, she sucks her fingers. I want nothing to do with a pacifier but it looks like she has other ideas.
  • She likes the sound of the vacuum cleaner. We discovered this by accident while cleaning. It calms her. I have a feeling we will pull this out when we are desperate to stop a crying fit. Maybe I can even get Brooke to do more cleaning.
  • She hates to get dressed and undressed. This always results in screaming.
  • She hates socks. Kicks them off every time.
  • She prefers the left breast to the right breast. I will attribute this to me.
  • She is gassy. I will attribute this to her mother.

1 comment:

  1. Great photo... Congratulations to you both!! Send my love to both of them, please.

    ReplyDelete