Friday, February 8, 2013

No Adam or Mark or John for Us


Picking a name for our son has been excruciatingly difficult. We just can’t agree on anything.

Really, we can agree. But then Brooke runs it by her family or her friends and if she gets any negative reaction, it is back to the drawing board. Essentially, she is crowdsourcing our name to her family and friends. When can you ever get agreement like that?

(Since she is going that route, I think I will, too. Read to the end to learn our current list of finalists and then cast your vote.)

Picking a name for Sydney was rather easy. Once we got passed the whole stripper argument, we settled on a few final candidates, talked it out and came to fairly quick agreement. With this one, we have narrowed it to a few candidates, talked it out, came to blows, slept in different rooms, threatened divorce and are still trying to come to agreement.

Names are important. We are the type who like something a bit different than the norm, but not weird. I don’t want something so unique they make fun of him, yet I don’t want say, the traditional Biblical names either.

I have friends who name their kids Jack and Mary and Charlie and Sally and I am OK with that. I also have friends who name their kids Sundance and Petunia (not really, but I don’t want to give an actual name here to avoid breaking up a friendship). I’m not ok with that.

Picking a really unique name can lead to a lot of teasing on the playground. Sure, your kid can turn it into a positive and become resilient and tough and a leader and literally turn the name into a synonym for “cool.” But he could also crumble like stale bread and spend the rest of his life on a psychiatrist’s couch wondering why his mom and dad thought Arsehole Gregg had a nice ring to it.

I’m also not necessarily enamored with names that can be shortened to something that I don’t consider equal to the given name. For example, Brooke likes Jackson. I think Jackson is cool, but I have a feeling everyone will call him Jack. Then he is just another of 22 million Jacks in this country. (Actually, according to howmanyofme.com, there are 498,107 Jacks in this country. It is only the 115th most popular name. But John -- the name from which Jack is often derived -- is #2 with more than 5 million!)

And, of course, on the playground, he will be Jack Off, or, worse, Jack MeOff.

I also don’t want my kid named after me or anyone in our families. I want him to have his own identity and not have the burden of carrying any legacy. Brian is a cool name (the 29th most popular in the U.S.!) as far as I am concerned, but one is enough.

Brooke likes a lot of sissy names. I won’t repeat them here, in case your kid has one of those names. But some names just conjure up prep school wimps more than others. Names like Chauncey and Kip and Grayson. I don’t want my kid to carry that burden.

Being a teacher, Brooke rules out a lot of cool names because she has encountered a student at some time whom carried that name and pissed her off in some way. Yeah, elementary school teachers can carry a grudge, too. Somewhere out there is a teacher who hates you because you put a tack on her seat as a devious little sixth grader. 

So let me run through our latest list of candidates. I will give you the pros and cons, but try not to bias you in any way. Nor will I release which is my favorite or which is Brooke’s favorite. The truth is, we are still entertaining new names; this is just the current list.

You can cast your vote in the comments section. Of course, it will hold no sway in our decision whatsoever (unless you pick my favorite – then I am marching the results right to Brooke!) But it will be fun.

Here they are, in no particular order:

Braeden: Pro: I like the “Br” sound, as in Brian and Brooke. Con: Sydney would be left out of the “Br” game.

Tyson: Pro: Even the shortened Ty is cool. Con: Tyson’s chicken.

Kellen: Pro: Rather unique, without being crazy. Con: Keenan and Kel?

Tate: Pro: Sounds manly. Tate Gregg. Con: It is rather unique, but is it crazy?

Max: Pro: Manly. And has an X, which is just cool. Con: Certainly the most common name on our list.

Jax: Pro: Again, it has an X. Con: Will it be mistaken for Jack? Is it too prep-schoolish? Is it crazy?

That’s it for now. I am interested in your opinion. Crowd sourcing is always a good idea, right?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Brian, Geri Nikolai here. I like Max. My new grandson is Maddox but we call him Max. Congrats, young man. Your life is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Max too but Tate in my opinion would be a mistake. Lots of jokes and teasing with Tate, ie, Mr. Potatoe head, Tater Baby, tater tot, Tate from Idaho. etc. Good luck and best wishes no matter what you name your awesome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxwell Gregg or Maximillian Gregg sounds rather sophisticated for a business card and Max could be the shortened version. Your Aunt Alyce votes for one of these.





      Delete
  4. This is easy: Sue.

    And all kids get made fun of for their names (kids can do a lot with "Fred" and "Reeder," FYI). You can't choose an infallible name ... and anyway, you and Brooke will be the kind of parents to gently walk Sue through the best ways to handle the teasing he gets. Or, he'll end up finding you in a bar and almost kill you.

    ReplyDelete