Friday, May 3, 2013

And the name is....


Quick post.

We are a week away. This time next Friday, we will be the proud parents of a young boy.

And that boy’s name will be….

Tyson George Gregg.

Tyson won out over other finalists such as Tate, Kellen, Max and Braeden. I think it was a compromise. My favorite was Tate. Brooke won’t acknowledge a favorite, but I think her's was Kellen.

Once we learned of our son’s heart condition and the battle he was going to wage, we decided to pick a name that signified “fighter.” Believe me, this boy is going to be a ferocious fighter.

But none of the names that mean “fighter,” “brave” or “strong” resonated with us. So, we went back to our original list and we agreed on Tyson.

He isn’t why we picked the name, but one of the most ferocious fighters I have ever witnessed in the ring was Mike Tyson. His knockouts are legendary. His quick demolition of Michael Spinks was a thing of beauty.

I am talking about Mike Tyson in his prime, before he became the sad, tattooed, Karyoke singer who got famous in those Hangover movies.

A young Mike Tyson rose from the mean streets of Brooklyn to battle the toughest boxers in the world and he beat them down with a fury. If my kid can tackle heart defects in the same fashion, he’ll be a winner.

But that’s a bonus. We really just picked Tyson because we like the name. And, I like the shortened version, Ty, too. I always try to consider what people might call him other than his given name and Ty is acceptable to me.

George is a family name. It is my middle name and my maternal grandfather’s name. It is also my wife’s maternal grandfather’s name. Her maternal grandmother’s name was Georgie. I don’t normally like to burden a kid with the legacy of a family name, but I think this will work out because it is only a middle name.

I’ll try to post one more time before the birth, then I will keep everyone updated on a fairly regular basis as we sort out the little one’s medical issues.

Thanks again for the support!  

2 comments:

  1. Wait -- aren't YOU a sad, tattooed Karaoke singer? And I'm a big fan of your choice. Then again, my name's Fred, so anything sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on, Tyson! Your parents are awesome.

    ReplyDelete