Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sweden's Little Miracle


 
 
 
I went where no man should.

I entered a discussion on snot.

Why would I enter such mucousy waters?

Because I am passionate about the NoseFrida.

This small, simple, Swedish tool is a must have for any parent. It is the nemesis of snout snot.

So, when a pregnant Facebook friend – congrats Nicole! – posted a picture of a NoseFrida she received as a gift and asked if anyone actually used them, I waded into the mucousy waters with much trepidation and spoke up.

“You will discover it is one of the best gifts you've received.

I’m not really a guy who is comfortable giving parenting advice to anyone. Despite two children under the age of 2, my parenting knowledge could fit into a six-ounce baby bottle. Thank God for my wife.

But on this topic, I couldn’t resist. I had to have my say.  

“It is the absolute best way to clear congestion.

Needless to say, not everyone agreed with me. Among the jokes and expected responses of “Gross!” were comments such as this:

“So this mom of four....nope, never, wouldn't try it. I'm sure it's great for some...but not me!

Many claimed that the blue bulbs you get at the hospital are the best way to win the booger battle.

I beg to differ.  

Ever since my wife saw Nancy O’Dell interview Christina Applegate – yeah, Kelly Bundy of Married with Children – the NoseFrida has been a positive part of our life.

Nancy: What is the best piece of parenting advice that anybody has given you?
Christina: There's so much [baby gear] to get! I think... to buy a NoseFrida!

Nancy: What is that?
Christina: The thing that you use to suck the stuff out of their nose. It's called a NoseFrida. It's got a long [tube] and you do it with your mouth.

Nancy: You do it with your mouth?! [laughs] I just used the hand-squeeze nose suctioner.
Christina: Well, there's a stopper. It doesn't go in your mouth. But it's so much more effective. I mean I always had that thing [squeeze suctioner] in there trying to get it out, and it never worked. But this one is magic!

Sydney had a lot of colds when she was younger. She was always congested. We, too, used the blue ball. Until my wife saw the interview with Kelly Bundy.

I must admit, I was grossed out and afraid. But it was worth a try.

The NoseFrida is a long suctioning tube with a disposable filter. You place the tube against the child’s nostril and create a seal. Then you use the mouthpiece to suck out the snot!!!

Yeah, it sounds gross. But the snot never gets to your lips. It is blocked by the filter.

This nifty little invention was created by a Swedish doctor and is 100 percent hygienic. It is worlds better than the blue bulb. The kids don’t like it for the few seconds you suck – they don’t like the blue bulbs, either – but once you are out of their nostrils, they have immediate relief.

Why is it better? Well, here’s what it says on the NoseFrida site:

“NoseFrida is non-invasive – instead of going inside the nose like the bulb, it forms a seal with the outside of the baby’s nostril (creating a vacuum). Parent-powered (mouth) suction is much stronger and more effective than the static suction of the bulb or battery-powered aspirators. NoseFrida is also easy to clean.”

My friend Nicole wondered if she could suck too hard and hurt her baby. According to the web site: “No. NoseFrida is safe to use on newborns and preemies. There is no risk of sucking too hard.”

Sydney and Tyson might not like the few seconds of intense sucking, but it provides immediate relief. You can see and hear their breathing become easier.

Here’s what I know:

·       Rarely do I publicly tout any product. I just don’t like putting my reputation on the line like that.

·       I’m totally intimidated by the thought of offering parenting advice in any forum that would include mothers who know eons more than me.

Yet, I went to bat for the NoseFrida. Draw your own conclusion.

But this isn’t like Hair Club for men. I’m not also a client. I’ve yet to ask Brooke to pony up to the NoseFrida and give it a whirl on my stuffy nose.

There are just some places even a husband and wife cannot go. Do a little dance, suck a little NoseFrida, get down tonight…

I also couldn’t legally go on TV and proclaim to be a regular user of the NoseFrida.

Why? My wife handles the snot sucking in our family.

That stuff’s just too gross for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment