Sunday, July 17, 2011

Strippers Are Daughters Too

My first attempt at naming our daughter did not go over well.  
I was at my in-laws' house drinking beer with my brother-in-law in the basement. Lucky for me, her family likes to drink beer. They live in Wisconsin, after all. You know how it is going to the in-laws. You have to be on your best behavior; you can never relax. Beer makes the time go by a little easier.
So her brother keeps talking about this friend who might be coming over. After about 12 beers and hearing the name a few times, I sprint upstairs and announce to Brooke and her mom that I have found the perfect name for our daughter.
“Blair has a friend with the name Sequin. I think that would be a great name for the baby.”
Silence.
My wife looks at me with that “How did I ever let this person impregnate me?” look.
Her mom looks at me with that “I KNEW this guy was not the right guy for my daughter” look.
“We will NOT name our daughter that,” Brooke says. “She will not be a stripper.”
“Blair doesn’t have a friend named Sequin,” her mom advises. “He has a friend named Seekman.”
In my drunkenness, I had apparently mistaken this guy’s last name for Sequin. My wife takes my beer from me and says it would be a good idea for me to stay upstairs with her for awhile.
Thus began my quest to name our daughter. I want something unusual and pretty. I don’t want her to be one of six Emmas or Madisons in her class.
Sequins are pretty and that name is unusual. She’d be the only girl in the school with that name.
But nooo, my wife, who has never been to a strip club in her life, thinks it sounds like a stripper name. She thought the same of some of my other choices, such as Tiffany and Layla.
Look, babies aren’t pre-destined by their names. You name a boy Mason, he isn’t necessarily going to lay bricks for a living. Jordans aren’t all going to play basketball. LeBrons…well, yeah, he’ll probably be a jerk and crap all over his hometown.
My point is, you can’t rule a name out because someone has chosen it as her stage name as she shakes her ta-tas to pay her way through college.
But that is what we do. My wife is a teacher. The name of ANY bad or obnoxious student she has ever encountered was immediately ruled out. I ruled out the names of stalker women from my past. Some of you are probably reading this post right now. THE COURT ORDER IS STILL IN  EFFECT!
Picking a name is more a process of elimination than anything.
I wanted our kid to have a BR name. Brian, Brooke and…? Moreover, both Brooke and I now have the same middle and last initials. We could all be BGG.
Brooke doesn’t like it. “You are boxing me in. Then we’d have to name our next child like that, too.”
And that’s a problem because…? Alliteration is clearly not a priority for her.
Brooke liked names that seemed old fashioned to me, like Annabelle and Clara. I liked hip names, like Roxy and Diamond and Sapphire and Kardashian.
You know, I probably haven’t been to a strip club in 15 years. I swear on my grandma’s grave.
In the end, we decided on a middle name first. Grace. Very classy. Never met a Grace I didn’t like.
First names were narrowed down to a few favorites. Claire, Chloe, Rosalee, Cecilly, Adrienne, Sydney. I didn’t really like Adrienne. I just let me wife put it on the list because, by this point, she was very short-tempered with me. When she gets upset and wants me to do something, she plays the labor card. “Do you know how hard it is going to be to push this baby out? It is the equivalent of you trying to pass a bowling ball.” OUUUCH.
I don’t know Brooke’s reasoning behind picking Sydney, but I had sound thinking behind mine. I was a huge fan of the television show Alias and fell in love with Jennifer Garner. She played an international spy named Sydney. In my mind, “Sydney” is associated with a super-hot chick who dresses in costumes to take down bad men and make the world around her a better place.
Sort of like a stripper.
 

2 comments:

  1. More than the name, B.G., is the fact that you're not insisting this child be born in the great town of Massillon. Or are you waiting til Brooke's in labor - and therefore incapacitated - so you can drive 90 mph up I-71?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before you know it she will either begin to talk about her relationship with her boyfriend or admit to you that she doesn't have a boyfriend. It is that simple. And at this point you can either move on to hitting on another girl, while still remaining friends with her, or you can ask her out on a date outside of the club. strippers for hire

    ReplyDelete